Since 2009, individuals aged 18 and over can contribute to a TFSA (Tax-Free Savings Account) of their choice.
This new investment vehicle now allows you to contribute up to $10,000/year.
- The contribution was from 2009 to 2012, $5,000/year then 2013–2014 the contribution increased to $5,500/year;
- Starting in 2015, $10,000/year and the cap is fixed for life;
- Unused contributions are carried forward to the following year;
- All earnings accumulate tax-free;
- No tax payable on death or withdrawals;
- You can have multiple TFSAs;
- You can transfer your existing TFSA to another TFSA tax-free.